About Us
 
Hindu High School – Our Heritage
 
In 1852, the residents of Triplicane (Highly cultured and learned) started 2 schools- “Dravida Patasala” for Tamil boys and “Hindu Andhra Balura Patasala” for the Telugu boys under separate managements, with about 20 students each. They had fund problems and the Tamil school used to get some Government grant as well as some support from Pachiappa’s Charities. Tamil school was located in a rented building in Big Street.

The local residents found it difficult to support 2 schools financially , and after some efforts on 1 st Feb 1860, the 2 schools were amalgamated under the name “The Triplicane Andhra Dravida Balura Patasala”. Shri P T Ramanujam Naidu and Shri Devanayaga Mudaliar were the first President and Secretary respectively. In June,1864 they started a Girls School “Balika Patasala”.

The salaries paid those days (as per Government rules), was Rs 10 to Rs 25 per month for Indian Head masters and Rs 40 for the first Anglo Indian HM, Mr Newton(1868).The teachers were paid Rs 2 to Rs 3 per month.!!

By end 1868 the financial position of the schools became very bad and a deficit of Rs 80 was built up. It was then that the committee requested Shri M A Singarachariar to take up Secretary/ Treasurer post and a new committee was formed. Shri M A Singarachariar, cleared all liabilities from his own funds and helped to keep the school going, so much so that by 1898 the school, which had been renamed as “Triplicane Balura Patasala”, became financially stable. Shri M A Singarachariar was mainly responsible for this revival and he held the posts as Secretary, Member and President of the committee for 38 years.

English teaching became prominent and in 1870 the first batch of students appeared for the Matriculation exam. Due to introduction of English by 1873 the school got the name “Triplicane Anglo- Vernacular High School”. The Girls School changed to different management, and finally got taken over by the government, and developed into the present Lady Wellington School and Training College, in Triplicane.

Thanks to the efforts of many philanthropists the school got its own building in March 1897 ( estimated cost of land and building-Rs 57627). Late Shri Namberumal Chetty, a prominent contractor, built it at a throwaway cost out of his love for the school. In 1906, the school finally got the name “HINDU HIGH SCHOOL”. At various stages, more and more land was acquired, and classrooms added, since there was high demand for admissions. Due to space pressure the school had to run in 2 shifts. In 1951/52 the centenary committee raised the 3 storey building, with 24 classrooms and succeeded in abolishing the shift system.

Very distinguished and able men had been managing the committee and also served as very sincere and loyal faculty. To name a few, Shri M Rangachariar, Dewan Bahadur M O Parthasarathy Iyengar, Rt Hon’ble Srinivasa Sastry, Dewan Bahadur K Krishnaswamy Rao, M.Ct Muthiah Chettiar etc had guided the school to great heights.

125th year celebration took place in Feb 1978. Nobel Laureate Dr S Chandrasekhar, an old boy of our school, visited his Alma Mater on 4th Feb 1989. 150th year celebration was held in August 2005 and His Excellency Shri Surjit Singh Barnala, Governor of Tamilnadu inaugurated the celebrations.

Some distinguished Head masters responsible in building this awesome reputation for the school are:
  • Rt Hon’ble Srinivasa Sastry 1899-1906, who built English Oratory Skills in the school.
  • Shri P A Subramania Ayyar 1916-1938 widened the horizons and gave new direction to the school
  • Shri G V Narayanaswami Iyer 1938-1941, father of famous musician GNB. He introduced dress code for teachers.
  • Shri Nambi Iyengar 1941-1947. Introduced Tamil Medium classes, started mid day meal scheme and night study for poor students.
  • Shri T P Srinivasavaradhan 1947-1959. Introduced pension scheme for teachers, responsible to get centenary building constructed. Was also a MLC.
  • Shri T S Rajagopala Iyengar 1959-1967. A very eminent Maths teacher and author of many books.
 
© thhssalumni.com